Taste of the Sea Festival
- Wednesday, 01 September 2021
As part of Allerdale Borough Council’s ten-year strategy and Economic Recovery Plan a Taste of the Sea Festival, based on the successful Taste Cumbria Festival but with a sea food themed arrangement, was held on Friday 13 to Sunday 15 August. Entertainment for the event was developed through a steering group of local businesses and town councillors. Funding was provided through a grant from Sellafield Ltd & a £10,000 grant from Maryport Town Council.
- Fizz and Fish Garden / Street Theatre / Sea Shanty Band / Local Performers
- Producers’ Market
- Comedy Night
- Chef Demonstrations
- Children’s Activities
- Other Activities involving the local business, culture & wider community
Events such as this one rely heavily on funding to create a rich & entertaining content, & whilst the Sellafield funding supported essential requirements such as infrastructure, security & road closures, the £10,000 provided by the Town Council contributed to the following:
- Entertainment provision being offered in pubs and bars in Maryport, including 2 for 1 Menus, Kids Eat Free or some Live Entertainment, a big incentive for visitors, especially when travelling from outside of Maryport, to stay, eat and drink at the local eateries and pubs
- Entertainment content during the festival, including Street Theatre, Sea Shanty Band, Kids’ Entertainment & Comedy Night, which provided a draw to the event, especially the Sea Shanty Band, a style of music which has grown hugely in popularity since the beginning of lockdown, all of which gave something extra to an already popular producers’ market.
- Signage & Promotion, including printing, artwork & online media coverage
The Town Council funding enhanced the basic offering & helped encourage visitors and residents to stay, eat, drink & spend locally, a key aim when running recovery events such as this. Judging by the turnout, the event was very popular with locals & visitors alike, & the Town Council hopes to be able to provide support for similar events in the future.